Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Lego 7th Birthday

Seven.  My second born child turned seven on July 18th and it just reminds me that seven years go by way too fast.  My little guy who still sucks his thumb and cries when someone buys the property in Monopoly that he has his heart set on.  My little guy who showed me that it indeed was possible for my heart to have love enough for more than my first child when I couldn't imagine how.  Matthew was my most content child from the moment he was born.  He was the easiest to deliver, he was the earliest to sleep through the night (at six weeks!), he has been the least pickiest eater we've had, and he's just a pretty mellow guy in general.  He's wonderful and loving and kind to his brothers and sisters.  He has sound effects for everything he does, whether he's playing with toys, coloring pictures, or just making his hands blast off as a space shuttle.  He's a great best friend to his big brother and an awesome big brother to his little brother and sisters.  And he's such a sweet son.  We are so blessed to have him in our family.  Thank you God!

I think I say this of every age that my kids come to, but I love this age.  I love this kid.  I love them when they are little and need me for everything and I love as they grow older and are fun to hang out with as well as take care of.

Chris was TDY for three nights before Matthew's actual birthday and returned the afternoon of his birthday.  We let Matthew pick what to do for the rest of the day and he chose to go downtown to see the Alamo and to go the the Rainforest restaurant that we heard about on the Riverwalk. 


The boys had a great time floating leaves down the waterfalls on the way to the riverwalk.


The Rainforest Cafe servers sang their version of Happy Birthday to Matthew while they made him scratch his head and beat on his chest like a gorilla!



We had a great time and he was really excited about the Volcano Brownie dessert that we all shared.  When we got home he opened his gifts from Chris and me...Legos, his favorite.

We celebrated Matthew's birthday some more with a party on that Saturday.  He chose a Lego theme and the kids pretty much played Legos the whole party, with some Lego games thrown as well.  It was fun and most important of all, Matthew knew that he was special and that we wanted to celebrate him.



No comments: