Saturday, July 31, 2010

It's Coming...

Two more sleeps and it will be Monday, our first day of school.  And I am so excited! 


Getting ready for the first day of school is like getting ready for a birthday party or a holiday for me.  I love planning for it and I want to make it the best that I can. 

Back to school sales seriously give me a rush of adrenaline.  25 cent bottle of glue and boxes of crayons?  Notebooks for 10 cents each?  How can I not stock up?  My husband thinks I'm crazy, but in my defense, I do include a lot of it in our Operation Christmas Child boxes later in the year. 

I've been looking for ideas about how to make our first day a special day for the kids.  I've got some ideas but I'll wait and post pictures of those ideas that I actually implement!  My mind can think of many more fun things than my energy or time allow for.  

"Box Day" is what we homeschoolers call it when our big box of curriculum comes in the mail. Hours are spent at taking in every book, flipping through the pages, taking in that new book smell. That was a few weeks ago for me. Now I'm getting the rest of the school supplies we need/want and we will be ready.


I can not thank God enough for leading us straight to the My Father's World curriculum that we use. Every year I get more excited about what we will be learning about. Notice how I said we; I'm learning, right along with my children. I may have heard it before when I was in school, and while I did like school when I was a kid, and did very well, I either didn't learn, or don't remember, a lot of it.

Christopher and Matthew will be using the Creation to the Greeks program and Gabriel will be using the My Father's World From A to Z kindergarten program.



Gabriel has been asking for weeks now how many more days until he gets to start school. Matthew is excited too. Christopher, on the other hand, thinks our summer break was too short. And really, it was only four weeks, but we'll be taking several weeks off later this fall when we move, so I wanted to get a head start.

Although we just went through a week of Vacation Bible School at our church and I'm exhausted still from that. And Chris is on a TDY to Alaska right now (I'm totally jealous) for six days and won't be back until Tuesday. So he'll miss our first day. But I'm ready to dive in.  I do need to muster up some energy though.

Two more sleeps!

3 comments:

Champion Builders said...

I'm excited for you. All that fresh stuff :)

Esquire's Wife said...

You totally inspire me! Some day...

Kim said...

Box Day was so exciting for us. A box showed up at our door a few months ago...it was our MFW curriculum! My friend and her husband blessed our family with the complete first grade curriculum my husband and I had decided on. I laughed and cried at the same time at the way God had provided for us. It was such an unexpected blessing! Very excited to start school this year.

I too am thankful for God leading us to MFW. Just reading through the curriculum I know it will be perfect for our family. :)

Praying God blesses your family this year!