Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Long Week

So I've been a single mom since Sunday and it's been a looong week.  Chris is in Georgia for work but is coming home tomorrow.  Anna has been super fussy all week but today she finally seems better.  She's been napping and not crying almost all day long.  My poor sweety. 


Regardless, we've somehow managed to get through school this week.  Sometimes I try to take an outside-looking-in view of my days and know that God must be here with us because how else could I do this without going crazy or ruining my kids? 

Christopher is studying about Asia, specifically Saudi Arabia this week and that's been interesting.  I am reading a biography about missionary Amy Carmichael aloud to the kids and really, that's about India, but I imagine that Saudi Arabia is somewhat similar.  I know Christopher doesn't quite grasp the amount of freedom that we have compared to the people there, especially women, but it sure makes me grafeful for the country I live in. 

He is studying the enviroment this week also, and things like pollution, endangered species, recyling, etc.  There was one assignment that wanted us to see what types of things we were throwing away, basically disecting our garbage for one week, but this is not the week to do that.  We will cover this study again in five years and maybe I'll be more into it then.  Or my kids will be old enough to do it on their own.  You can bet I laughed out loud when I read that worksheet, in an "are you kidding me" sort of laugh.

He and I both are so tired of fractions and I can't believe how much there is to learn about them.  We will persevere though, as I suppose they are one part of math that you actually need to know as an adult.  I do like his math though, and it doesn't take long to get through the exercises.

Matthew is about to finish up his reading stories in the Old Testament, as well as finish learning rules for reading.  He's doing great and can read just about anything, but practice is needed as he is still very slow and choppy.  I sit back and look at him sometimes and realize that I taught him to read.  Me!  Reading is one of those things that you either don't know how to do it or you do.  It is something that you can see that is accomplished and it is good to be able to actually see that accomplishment.  Especially this week when things have been more difficult to accomplish than usual.  Christopher learned to read before he started school, but that was more him learning on his own with some of that first born parent ambition thrown in.  Matthew's not like that.

What else did we do this week?

Well, the kids played in the make-shift sand box. I made it for Leah to use and everyone wanted to play. They also rode their bikes.





Anna's cute lil toes got some fresh air.

I love these pudgy fingers.
And these dirty boy-hands.
   

Leah loves wearing the boys' bike helmets.
      
           

      

     



And we went to the zoo.  It was drizzling rain the whole time, but we were out and everyone was happy.  Except Anna.


Whenever we go anywhere, all of the boys want to have a map.



 We are so happy that it is spring so we can be outside so much.  I hope we have an unusually long spring this year.
  

I took the boys to Awana and then shopped at Target before picking them up. Leah was a perfect Angel while we were shopping and loved a croaking Easter frog we found. It kept her happy and laughing the whole trip. I carried Anna in the Bjorn and so she was happy most of the time. When we got to the church to pick up the boys, she realized that she should be at home sleeping and screamed the whole time as I collected each boy from his class.

This morning four of the children had dental cleanings. The boys all did great, no cavities or teeth to pull from their little crowded mouths. This was Leah's first time, and they did the cleaning with a normal tooth brush to get her used to it. She wasn't sure at first and I thought she might fight it, but she was brave and relaxed once she realized they were just going to brush her teeth. And she LOVES brushing her teeth.



In the midst of being a temporary single mom of five, with two of them being cranky little ones, we still made some fun memories this week. And I've started staying up way too late just so I can have some down time once Anna finally falls asleep.

It'll be nice to have my honey home tomorrow.

3 comments:

Champion Builders said...

Glad your made it through your week and your hubby's home.
We have so many similarities in our schooling right now....we too skipped the garbage worksheet (I had that same laughing reaction), Bookgirl and I also tired of fractions in Singapore 4a, and my Mathboy just finished his Old Test readings and his Phonics workbook. It's nice to hear someone else is in the same place.
Lori

Hi, I'm Jami! said...

That is fun that we are pretty much on the same schedule with school. Can you imagine saving a week's worth of garbage and organizing it? That's a ton of garbage in my house, even after all of our recycling. Although, I guess that's the point of the worksheet, to make us realize how much we throw away...still, that activity is just not happening right now!

Emily said...

Same here with the garbage worksheet! WWAAAYYY too much!