Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"When's Daddy Coming Home?" Jars

As a way to help the kids understand a little more how long it will be until their daddy comes home, I had them make these little countdown jars.  The boys understand the calendar and how long Daddy will be gone, but Leah constantly asks and well, everyone loves M&M's, so all of the kids thought this would be fun.  All I did was clean out some peanut butter jars and let the kids use my stash of stickers and Sharpies to decorate the jars.  I counted out the correct amount of candies for one jar, which fittingly filled the entire jar, and then filled the other four up the same amount.  As with every deployment he's been on, we don't know exact dates, so I'm sure they'll be some adding or subtracting once the big day gets closer.  


Leah with her "Daddy and me" necklace that a friend blessed us with for each of my children.




(I couldn't get him away from the Gators football game to come decorate his jar with us!)




The best part for the kids was that I took so long to collect five empty peanut butter jars (I finally just emptied two full ones into a storage container) that they got to eat about three weeks' worth of M&M's the first day.  Now whenever Leah talks to Daddy on Skype, she tells him the M&M's are almost gone and he gets to come home soon.  Ummm, not quite "soon" yet.

No comments: