Sunday, April 17, 2011

School - Week 27

Gabe's week in school focused on the letter 'Z' and the unit study of the zebra. 

Leah did some coloring for Gabe in the top right picture.


We went to the zoo this week and the kids took a picture with the zebra there.

We read the book If I Ran the Zoo which is about a kid who makes up his own silly animals to put in the zoo.  So the boys all made up silly animals too.  These are Gabe's...


***********************************************************************************
We continued reading in 2 Kings about Elisha and the story about how Naaman was healed from leprosy.  Naaman was an important general and thought that he should have to do something impressive to be healed since he was so strong and impressive, but God, through Elisha, healed him by having him do something so simple that anyone would be capable of doing it.  Exactly like how we can be saved from eternal death by something simple, that anyone is capable of doing...putting our faith in Jesus Christ alone and his gift of salvation.  It's not something that only impressive and important people can do. 


It was neat how just a week or so before we read about this story for school, we read and discussed this story in our Bible study group.  The Bible is so relevant for both children and adults.


We're almost caught up in art.  This first lesson was to copy the picture of the statue on the page, using lines to shade to show depth.  Christopher's is on the left; Matthew's on the right.  And I don't know why Matthew's looks like the man's brains are exposed.

This lesson was about drawing people.  The boys usually draw stick figures, and this lesson added ovals and rectangles to the stick people to make them look a little more real.  Under these pages, the boys drew the scene of Jesus walking on water during the storm. 

Christopher's on the left; Matthew's on the right.

We also started some painting using acrylic paint.  The boys practiced mixing colors and then painted in the picture of a stag beetle, trying to copy the color of the real painting. 










We've also been trying to catch up in science.  We are working quickly through the chapter about plants in our science book.  One of the experiments we did was to grow plants from seeds we have around the kitchen...beans, spices, and herbs.


And we also had our last homeschool co-op meeting of the semester, and the last one that we'll be able to attend with our awesome group.  In the class I taught, we made Easter baskets out of milk jugs and I brought in some eggs to give out as well.


If you'd like to see what other MFW families' school week looked like, click here.  2 ladybugs and a lizard is guest hosting this week.

And I'll leave you with some other zoo pictures from this week...
I love that they are all able to walk around together, hanging out. They walked through the reptile house, following each other around like little ducklings...so cute!


The elephant was really neat to watch this zoo trip.  He kept sticking his trunk into a stream of water and then putting his trunk in his mouth to drink the water. 




I got bombed by a bird while we walked through the bird aviary...yuck!


Part of the group of friends we went to the zoo with.

And should you think that I dress my kids in the same clothes everyday, we actually went the zoo, took bluebonnet pictures, and went to our Bible study Easter egg hunt on the same day!

Have a great day!

8 comments:

Kattie said...

What a fun week you had! I can't wait to go the zoo, our weather has been so rainy lately.

I love to see all the pictures of their artwork. Everyone here LOVES to paint, it's so much fun!

Great job!

Monica said...

Nice art work. I pulled the paints out this week too... gotta love the fun mess! What do you think of PLL? My 6 and 8 yr old will be starting it this fall.
Monica
m_wharton@yahoo.com
www.discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com

Hi, I'm Jami! said...

Kattie, send some of that rain down here!
Monica, we like PLL fine. The kids like that it's not writing everyday, but a mix or oral and written work. We're using it for the second time (with Matthew this time) and Christopher is using ILL, so I guess that says something too. It works for us. :o)

Gator Mommy said...

First, I have to stay that I LOVE the boy's shirts ;-)

I am so amazed every week how much you are able to accomplish with such a wide range of ages. I swear I wouldn't be able to get any schooling done if not for the fact that my two "littles" nap at the same time. I would love to know how you do it.

Great week as always!

Hi, I'm Jami! said...

Gator Mommy, that's exactly when we do school...when the girls are napping! Leah went a week without napping when we moved the girls into the same room but she's back to napping with Anna again. :o)

Champion Builders said...

What have you used to teach your boys handwriting? They both have such neat and well spaced writing. I need something better

Hi, I'm Jami! said...

Champion Builders, we didn't use a program for their handwriting other than just MFW Kinder. I think they have neat handwriting because they have spent so much time coloring and drawing since they were toddlers and have really practiced their fine motor skills. That's what I'm guessing anyways.

Champion Builders said...

Where did you get the paper with the lines for spacing? I dont' see the images right now, but I thought you had pics of paper with lines in between their letters and "start" and "stop" on the paper. I guess I just assummed that paper was part of a handwriting program.

Did you get moved yet? I thought your blogging hiatus was probably due to moving time
Lori