Saturday, April 9, 2011

School - Week 26

So eight more weeks left of this school year for us!  If felt like it was going pretty slow for a while, but suddenly it seems like the end of the year is very near.

Gabriel's letter unit this week was K-k-Kangaroo. 

In the activity below, I choose the letter of the week plus another letter and mix the picture cards up.  Gabriel has to sort them based on the beginning sound.

Here, he has to cut and paste words to the pictures they belong to.


We read about kangaroos, tried to hop as far as one (only about 37 feet short), and made this cute little pencil box.  Gabriel was really into it when we did it, but when it came time for picture, he got all annoyed about it. 




Christopher and Matthew spent the week reading about Elijah and we read quite a bit about the religions of India, Buddhism and Hinduism, as well as some about their caste system.  We initially read these things about India last year, and one of Christopher's favorite missionary biographies we read was about Amy Carmichael, which talked a lot about the caste system as well. 

The boys finished up their copywork and memorization of Psalm 1.
Matthew's

Christopher's

They only wrote one verse a week, and it's really the only cursive I make Christopher do his schoolwork in (other than a handwriting copywork sheet) but he really just doesn't like to write with it.  I can't imagine taking the time to print all of what I write, so I hope that as I have him do more cursive copywork, he'll get more comfortable, and quick, with using it. 
He did ask me that once he finishes his cursive handwriting worksheets (he's doing one letter at a time), if I could write the words in print and he could copy them into cursive.  It was an odd request, but sure, I can do that!

Matthew was excited to finish up his Singapore Math 2A workbook, mostly becasue he has the next week off from math, except for some fun math games.  And I still need to order 2B, so he may get even longer.  Whoops.

Christopher's Writing Strands assignment this week was to write a story with a problem and a solution.


One of the art assignments this week was to draw household items around the house.  Usually Gabriel wants to do art with the boys, but he didn't for this assignment, so I used the copy I made for him.  Obviously they kids do not get their drawing talent from me, although I think I did quite well compared to usual.
Christopher's is on top, Matthew's to the left and mine to the right.

And on (most) Fridays, I follow the suggestion of MFW and have the boys write a letter to a family member.  A letter with a pencil and on paper.  Not very common these days, right? 



Now, if I could just remember to look up the addresses and get them in the mailbox! 

If you'd like to read about more homeschool highlights from other MFW families, click here.

Have a blessed week!

6 comments:

Tina Hollenbeck said...

We're nearly done with ECC - and I just got my CtG package in the mail! We're not starting that till August, but I couldn't resist ordering and taking a look. :^)

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your week. I had a question for you....I have two kiddos that are working on cursive this year (11 yo and 9 yo), and it seems like it hasn't been a real natural thing. I haven't had them write cursive except in their handwriting books. I think that it's a good idea that you picked one thing (his verse) that had to be written in cursive.....very nice cursive writing I might add. How have you encouraged and helped them to be eager with such beautiful penmanship....and the whole transition into cursive?

Thank you & Blessings to you,
Jamie
(MT homeschool Mom)

Kattie said...

Your children have very nice handwriting! Kindergarten looks like fun, I am thinking about it for my little ones when they are ready.

We have 6 wks left :)....I think I am more ready for summer break than my daughter :)

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful family you have. We, too, are doing CtG and K this year. My daughter has finished K. I must say I am looking forward to being finished with school for a few months though it has been a good year.

Anonymous said...

LOVE Katy No Pocket!

It's always great to finish a Math book, and I agree your boy's handwriting is really good!

We're on a break right now, but pretty much school year round. We just started our new 'years.' helps keep me sane. Maybe it's a Large Family thing :)

Have a great week!
Kathi

Hi, I'm Jami! said...

Jamie, I'm not sure that I've done anything with their handwriting!? Christopher started out writing pretty neatly and it's been a joke in our family that he writes neater than my hubby already. :oP
They do a LOT of coloring and drawing and always have, so I wonder if that has helped. I guess I correct them and have them redo it if they write messier than usual (usually Matthew or Gabe), but other than that, I can't really help. I wish I could!