Friday, March 25, 2011

School - Week 24

Gabriel took the week off from his kindergarten work.  I had a parent teacher conference and decided that it was okay to give myself and him a break.  Because he's a pre-kindergartener doing kindergarten work and well, that means I can give him a week off if I want.  That's just the kind of week we had if anyone can relate.

But the older boys didn't get the week off, much to their displeasure.

We finished up reading in 2 Samuel and started in 1 Kings, continuing reading about King David, and we read some of the Psalms he wrote as well. 

We started reading about King Soloman as well.  Again, I'm amazed at how little I actually knew about these well-known kings of the Bible and it makes me appreciate this homeschool curriculum we're using even more.  And it's so odd how much less boring it is than I thought it would be.  :oP

Christopher finished up another lesson in his writing curriculum.  This one was about looking out a window and describing what he saw.  

And we are still getting caught up in art. 
I love how some of the lessons specifically tell us to go outside and draw God's creation.

The first one of these was the boys drawing a portrait of me, their momma.  Lovely, aren't I?  The one below those is copying a scene of an angel talking to a woman that was in their book. 
Matthew's on left, Christopher's on right.

And this lesson is a few sketches of dragons.
Matthew's on left, Christopher's on right.

These ones are some of the what they've been drawing in their free time lately.  They make up scenes from Mario Brothers video games on the Wii.  There are many many many of these types of drawings around the house.  They explain the whole level to me, usually when I'm trying to make dinner or something, and you probably need to have played the game before to be able to figure out what everything is.  And then they also make up their own stuff too.
Christopher's


Matthew's


Christopher finished his math workbook, Singapore Math 5A, this week!  I told him we can just do some math facts practice and games next week before starting the next workbook.  He was pretty happy with that.  Can't you tell?


And I thought I'd add these pictures...
I teach a Construction Art craft class for third through sixth grades at our homeschool co-op that meets weekly on Fridays.  We use materials that you can normally find in your home to make various artwork.  This week we made sock pets.  They were a hit and when we got home, my other children wanted to make some too.
Christopher with two classmates.


Christopher's, Matthew's and Gabriel's creations.

I hope your week was great!

If you'd like to read about more Homeschool Highlights from other families using My Father's World, click here.

4 comments:

erin.kate said...

What are program are you using? Is it part of CTG or something else? Great week!

Hi, I'm Jami! said...

Yes, we use the art program that comes with the CTG deluxe package, God and the History of Art. I think they have it scheduled for next year (RTR) as well. We like it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jami!

You will actually use GATHOA for the last 4 years of the MFW cycle. We used it with CtG, but stopped after that. We're doing DWC (First) this year with Harmony Art Mom's lesson plans. (I'm NOT artistic, but trying to be)

I tend to give my little students more breaks than my big students too...it seems that since they've been 'raised' more in a learning environment their whole life, that things are just not as hard to 'teach' them, and they always seem ahead no matter how much time they go and play :)

Thank you for linking up! Hope you have a great weekend!
Kathi

Gator Mommy said...

Wow! Your kids writing and art are amazing! I love their maps of Mario Brothers- that would be right up my Senior's ally ;-) Very creative kiddos.