Sunday, March 11, 2012

Our Week: 10

So as I've been doing research for using Before Five in a Row with the girls in the future, I came upon a blog with a format I really like and think I'll try.  This might be a common format, but I haven't been reading many blogs lately and this is the first I've seen it.  Anyways, it's quite simple...just blogging each week with updates on everything...family, school, life.  This is the 10th week of the year, and this is what has happened in our life...
Our life.

One week at a time.

2012.

Week 10.

This week. . .

(3.4.12 - 3.10.12)


A "Welcome Baby" card from Leah.

I have a new nephew and Leah drew a picture of her cousins for the family.  I love when they draw arms and legs that come off of heads.  I actually remember doing this when I was a kid.  (What an odd memory to keep!)

Crazy Glasses Night at Awana

I waited until the last minute (like usual) to check the theme for Awana Sunday evening, and realized we had nothing to use for crazy glasses night.  But I do have plenty of craft supplies, and this is what we came up with.  The googly eyes were definately a hit when the boys showed up.




This week in school, week 25:
  • The Black Death aka Bubonic Plague.  This really interested Christopher but there really wasn't all that much information about it that we could find.
  • The Hundred Years War and Joan of Arc. 
  • Lanscape art emerges (detailed backgrounds as opposed to the previously solid colored backgrounds)
  • Christopher finished Singapore Math 6B. The next move is into Saxon 8/7 (pre-algebra) which uses a CD to teach (yay!) but I copied a bunch of reviews from 6A & 6B for him to do before he starts.  Saxon 8/7 is advanced 7th grade/regular 8th grade math so I'd like to make sure he's ready for it.
  • We learned about Earth in Astronomy this week.  It has so many qualities that are *perfect* for life, that's it's sad to see people try to explain it away as a random fluke in the universe instead of the perfection of God's creation (didn't I say the same thing when we studies Anatomy and Physiology?)  The older boys each made a compass out of a plastic lid, sewing needle, a bit of cork, a magnet, and thread.  It was really neat to watch it in action...it really worked!




We also:
  •  Hung out at home most of the week.  Leah had a fever for about 24 hours on Monday and Gabe got it right after but took a good week to recover.  He took several naps a day and had to miss his basketball game on Saturday because he just didn't have enough energy, even though he only had a fever from Monday through Thursday.  Poor little guy.
  • Had annual check-ups for Christopher and Anna.  Both are healthy and while Christopher is still average in height and weight, Anna is still a little thing at about the tenth percentile.  I love it...she's my baby and I like her little.  :o)
  • In addition to Gabe not feeling well all week, it was rainy this week.  I'm ready for some good Florida sunshine!
  • Got caught up on our 2012 family album on Shutterfly.  Okay, so maybe two months isn't that impressive.  It was still 26 pages worth though...our trip to Disney/Cape Coral took up most of that!
Have a great week!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post! We're on the same week as your family, so it's fun to see what you guys are doing. Although, you're way better at getting those experiments & other projects in. Good job! I was wanting to put a bug in your ear concerning the switch from Singapore to Saxon math....and maybe you already know this. But, the MFW website (& I've also called them about this) says that if the kiddos finish Singapore 5B, that is sufficient for starting Saxon 8/7. You'll probably find your son breezing through 8/7. It will be fun to see how that goes. Thanks again for sharing. Blessings to you & yours....

Jamie (Fellow MFW user & MT rancher's wife)

Jami said...

Thanks for the tip! I looked through the Saxon 8/7 book (I bought it used a while ago) and there is some stuff (mostly the pre-algebra stuff) in there that my son hasn't learned very much about still. I think we'll go through it, but as usual, tweak it so that if he has mastered something already, he'll either just do a few problems or skip to the next topic. I've heard that kids who are advanced in math sometimes get to a point where the new material is just not comprehensible. I hope we don't get to that point, but I also don't want to get too far ahead. Plus, he doesn't particularily enjoy math, so getting to do "easy" parts makes him more pleasant. ;o) Six more weeks until summer break! :o)

Anonymous said...

I thought that he looked like he was ahead in math, looking at his age, etc. You're doing such a good job with your kiddos. It's fun to read your posts, look at your pictures, and see your dedication. Keep up the great work!

Jamie