Monday, April 26, 2010

Kite Flying

We drove a half an hour to the Sebastapol House Historical Park today to make homemade kites.  The women who organize these montly activities there are very helpful and did a lot to help the boys so I could keep the girls somewhat entertained while trying to help the boys a little with their kites. 

I sit here and try to look back and see myself earlier today, juggling a tiny baby who wants to be held and walked around, a toddler who wants...well, everything, a four year old who is the most accident prone little guy I know and is constantly getting hurt, whose injuries may or may not have been caused by his brothers, and all the while trying to ignore or fulfill the constant pleas of snacks by my six year old with never ending hunger.  I have to laugh.  It keeps me from crying. 

Okay, it didn't seem quite that bad, but Leah was crying/whining for the last twenty minutes while I was carrying Anna and trying to get three boys' kites to fly in the one-minute-there, the-next-minute-gone wind.  And Gabriel and Christopher crashed into each other at one point which caused a lot of dramatic crying by Gabe and then Gabe tripped and fell another time, and again more tears.  Poor guy.  I'm just glad there was no blood to be found because if there is even one drop on Gabe, he loses it completely and there is no continuing whatever it is we are doing.  But I finally decided the stress had overtaken the fun and it was time to head to the closest McDonald's just so I could I could actually hear KLOVE coming through my radio.

But despite the busyness of trying to do hands-on activities with five kids, we did have fun and it was pretty neat to fly kites that the boys made themselves. 

The first one was made out of a 8 1/2 by 11 piece of normal computer paper staples and attached to string.



Then they decorated and assembled another kite.

Leah decided she wanted in on the coloring.  Anytime she can get ahold of a marker, she's all for it.

Flying high.


So we had a fun day and it was absolutely beautiful weather. 

By the way, I absolutely LOVE this song playing by Brandon Heath.  It makes me want to dance with my hubby, and we don't even dance.

No comments: