Monday, April 4, 2011

Awana Games

We don't do a lot of organized extracurricular activities with the kids.  Right now, the three boys are only participating in Awana, a Bible memorizing and games club at church, which is for the whole school year.  We do sports every once in a while, but I'm really not into the whole movement where I must be driving my kids to some activity every evening of the week.  They are more than happy to be able to play at home and I am more than happy to not have to work dinner, which we eat together at the dining table every evening, around who needs to be where and at what time.  And I like having my Saturday mornings free from chasing my girls around sports field sidelines.   
I'm sure that as my kids get older, we'll be doing more of it, and I hope that I'll enjoy it, like I did flag football for Christopher and Matthew in the fall and basketball for Gabe in the spring, but right now we have one evening activity, besides Bible study groups, and that happens to be Awana.
And we did have to get up early on a Saturday morning to go to the annual Awana Games competition at a local church.

Matthew is in the Sparks group, which is kinder through second grades and Christopher is in the T&T (Truth and Training) group, which is third through sixth grades.  They both had fun doing the fun gym games and both groups did very well.



Looking back through my pictures, I am cracking up at some of these little guys and their facial expressions.  Matthew has an interesting look in the photo below and the second kid in the line looks like he's up to trouble with that balloon.

And I love this little boy in this photo.  You just can't make this young crowd wait around this long or they have to come up with ways to entertain themselves!

The Sparks came in second out of the four in their group and the T&T kids came in third out of 11 teams.



Christopher has never really been into the team sport thing, but all three of his best friends were doing this, so I'm sure that played a part in him being so gung ho about it.  He had to stay after church every other Sunday for the past few months to practice, and it was nice that he never complained about it.






The girls got a bit antzy sitting around watching the sports go on after a couple of hours so I took them shopping at an annual consignment sale for an hour or so and then we came back a little later.

Anna didn't really do much better shopping either, but Leah enjoyed it, especially becauses I bought her a cute pair of pink Crocs that had a Snow White bling thingy on them.

No comments: