Saturday, October 15, 2011

A New Harvest

So, the day has finally come.  My first harvest.  A month ago I planted a row of tiny seeds and they survived.


Now, if you think it's silly that I am getting so excited over a few radishes, that's okay.  I might think the same of someone else who gets excited over something that I don't think is a big deal. 

But I walk outside every morning, after my God time and before getting my girls from bed, and check on my little plants, weeding and looking for new growth.  It's my "me" thing.  And with a house full of little ones all day, I don't get much of that.


Some of  the plants in my garden I started from plants that someone else had already grown.  But these babies were from little tiny seeds.

My helper this morning, Gabe, whose entire raw vegetable diet consists only of carrots, didn't seem too impressed with my little cherry radish.




It looked like just these three were ready today.  Since they grow underground, it's hard to tell which ones are ready.



I'm not the biggest radish fan, and these were a bit hot, but I think they'll be perfect to add to our lentils and sausage dinner tonight.






3 comments:

Esquire's Wife said...

So fun! I had a garden the first time we lived in ND and while I did not enjoy the work it took, the harvest is what makes me want to do it again here. It is very gratifying! Hope your radishes are tasty!

Holli said...

I'm jealous! I can't wait til Shawn gets our garden area ready. & could I get your lentils & sausage recipe??

Jami said...

LOL, so far I'm enjoying the work!
Holli, it's really easy... 1 cup lentils, 3 cups water w/3 bouillion cubes (or 3 cups chicken broth), 1 chopped onion, 1 turkey kielbasa or sausage and simmer for 40 minutes.