Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Boys Are Published!

My kids love these Illustory book kits


Matthew just got his first one for his brithday but Christopher got his first one as a gift when he was five years old and this second one (above) for Christmas but we just finished getting it made recently. 


So included in the box is the title page and a bunch of pages that the kids illustrate and write their story on.  There are two options for writing the story: having the company type the words that your kids write, or have them keep the writing of your child and putting that onto the page.  For Christopher's first book, when he was five years old, we had them type the words out.  For the boys' most recent books (above), I chose to have their own writing printed into the book, which I like a lot better.  Much more endearing.  Also, for Christopher's first book, we sent the pages he had drawn into the company in the mail, where these two books above were scanned to the computer and sent through their website, which I liked better as well. 

The books come back as a real book and are of great quality.

A few years ago, Christopher used regular printer paper to draw pages for a book and I took them to Office Max or the like to get it laminated and bound and it was about $25, which is much more than the $14 price that Amazon has on the Illustory kit right now (for the Christian edition which is no different than the regular edition except for the story outline page I think).  I did have every sheet laminated (I'm not sure why), so it'd be cheaper to just have the front and back pages done, but we still like these book kits better.

So, I'm not getting any sort of compensation for this product review, it's just a great project for kids and that will last forever and I wanted to share.

Gabe is already asking for one of these for his birthday in November and all the boys want one for Christmas.

1 comment:

Aunt Crystal said...

Awesome books! You guys are so creative!